This March, the Eastern New York Region is honoring those who make its mission possible during the 80th annual American Red Cross Month celebration — a national tradition that began in 1943 when President Franklin D. Roosevelt issued the first Red Cross Month proclamation.
When help can’t wait during emergencies, people in Eastern New York rally together to provide relief and hope for neighbors in need. This humanitarian spirit is at the heart of our community, and we are proud to honor all those who make our mission possible during this year’s Red Cross Month celebration. You can join in their commitment by donating, volunteering, giving blood or platelets, or taking a lifesaving skills course.
On March 22, you can also join our annual Red Cross Giving Day campaign by donating at redcross.org/givingday to help provide shelter, food, relief items, emotional support and other assistance for people affected by disasters big and small.
CONTINUING CLARA BARTON’S LIFESAVING LEGACY
Today’s Red Cross volunteers, blood and platelet donors and supporters are advancing the lifesaving legacy of Clara Barton — one of the most honored women in U.S. history — who founded the American Red Cross more than 140 years ago. Her vision to prevent and alleviate human suffering has never wavered: Generation after generation, people have come together to adapt this timeless mission for their communities’ most urgent needs.
In the past 12 months, volunteers in the Eastern New York Region:
- Responded to 713 home fires and other local disasters, providing relief to 1,310 families.
- Installed 2,833 free some alarms, making 1,431 local homes safer by presenting fire safety education and other lifesaving resources.
- Served 2,531 military families and provided 5,921 case services to aid veterans, service members and their families.
- Enrolled 44,879 people in CPR, first aid, water safety, babysitting and other lifesaving skills.
- Collected 102,310 units of blood from volunteer donors to support area hospitals and patients in need.
PREVENT A BLOOD SHORTAGE
When volunteer blood and platelet donors lend an arm this March, they’ll help keep the blood supply from dropping this spring. All who come to give blood, platelets or plasma March 1-31, 2023, will receive a $10 Visa® Prepaid Card by email.* Plus, they’ll be automatically entered for a chance to win a $3,000 Visa Prepaid Card – which could help toward expenses like gas or groceries. There will be five lucky winners.*
*Terms for both offers apply. Visit rcblood.org/help for details.
Leave a Reply